Pumpkin and Spinach Lasagna
- prepared lasagna sheets or store brought fresh or dried lasagna sheets
- 1 kg (2 lb) piece of pumpkin, skinned and sliced into 1cm thick slices
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbs cumin seeds
- ½ tbs paprika
- small bunch of fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 cup raw almonds, finely chopped
- 500g (1 lb) ricotta cheese
- 100g (3½ oz) baby spinach, washed and dried
- 2 cups pureed fresh tomatoes (use 1 tin of crushed tomatoes if you prefer)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/392°F
- Toss the pumpkin slices with the olive oil, cumin seeds, paprika and thyme until the pumpkin is well coated. Season with ground sea salt and fresh cracked pepper and transfer to a large roasting tray.
- Roast the pumpkin in the hot oven for 15 minutes until soft and golden.
- Transfer the roasted pumpkin and all the pan juices to a shallow bowl and drizzle over the lemon juice. Place in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to assemble the lasagna cook the prepared or store brought lasagna sheets in batches in plenty or rapidly boiling water until al-dente (tender) but not overcooked.
- Have the oven at 180°C/356°F
- In a deep pie or lasagna dish spoon in a layer of ricotta cheese or white sauce, top with a layer of baby spinach and then a layer of the roasted pumpkin. Sprinkle over some almonds and then top with cooked lasagna sheets.
- Top with a couple of spoonfuls of the pureed tomatoes, more ricotta, baby spinach and pumpkin finishing with the almonds. Top with another layer of cooked pasta and repeat finishing with the layer of almonds.
- Dollop on the remainder of the ricotta or white sauce and place in the oven to cook for 35-40 minutes until bubbling and golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve accompanied with a crisp salad or a side of veg if you prefer.
(Source: , via apdt-deactivated20120513)